Khichuri, a traditional south-east Asian dish is a symbol of warmth and love. Not only is it easy to make, but anyone can improvise and make their own signature khichuri by adding different vegetables or proteins. For this week, we bring you a very simple khichuri recipe that you can devour with a side chutney or some green chilies. Ass egg omelet as a side dish.
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- ¾ tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 diced tomatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons Coriander leaves
- 6 green Chillies
- 2 Bay leaf
- 3 Cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- ½ cup Oil for cooking
- 6 cups of hot Water
- In a pan, add oil and 1 sliced onion. Fry them till they are crispy and brown and keep them aside.
- Wash the rice and lentils and strain them. In another pan, fry the other sliced onion for 4-5 min.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and cook for 4-5 min.
- Add chopped onions and let it cook till the tomatoes get mushy
- Add all the spice powders and mix.
- Cook this masala until the masala releases oil
- Add the rice and lentils and fry them for 3-5 minutes
- Add hot water to the pan
- Add salt, green chilies, garam masala, and put on the lowers flame.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes
- Add coriander leaves, ghee and sprinkle crispy fried onions.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not stir.
- Your khichuri is prepared to serve with chutneys and omelets.
For more recipes like this, keep an eye on WhatsOn Tasty @ CafeOn.
FOLLOW CAFE ON> WhatsOn/Café On
OPENING HOURS> Monday – Friday: 8.00am – 3.00pm; Sat & Sun> Opening Soon!
CAFE ON, 13A Cannon St, Birmingham B2 5EN, UK, Tel> 0121 633 2311, W> WhatsOn.guide/CafeOn