Gyoza is Chinese dumplings eaten majorly during the Chinese new year. Although considered as part of the Chinese Cuisine, it has recently been very popular in other parts of East Asia and the Western World. For this week, we bring you an easy vegetable-filled dumpling/ Gyoza recipe that is both delicious and easy to make at home.
For making the Wrappers:
- 2 cups of flour
- 3/4 cups of warm water
- pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 cups of onion (diced)
- 2 cups of carrot (diced and shredded)
- 2 cups of cabbage ( shredded)
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- To make the wrappers, add warm water to the flour in a mixing bowl and make a dough.
- Cover the bowl and let it proof for 75 minutes.
- Roll doughs into small thin sheets with a rolling pin.
- Use an 8 inch round cutter to cut them into dumpling wraps.
- To make the filling, put a frying pan on high heat.
- Add the olive oil and saute the ginger and onion for a minute.
- Add the carrot and cabbage and cook until wilted.
- Finish by adding soya sauce, sugar, salt, and white pepper.
- After the filling is cooled, place it at the center of the wrap and fold it into a half-circle.
- Pinch the middle point of the half-circle twice on each side.
- Steam the dumplings for 10-15 minutes.
- Then heat a non-stick pan and fry your dumplings in olive oil till they are golden brown.
- Serve hot with soya sauce and chilly flakes.
For more easy recipes like this, stay with WhatsOn.guide
Vegetable Gyoza are available at Cafe On!
FOLLOW CAFE ON> WhatsOn/Café On
OPENING HOURS> Monday – Friday: 8.00am – 3.00pm; Sat & Sun> Opening Soon!
CAFE ON, 13A Cannon St, Birmingham B2 5EN, UK, Tel> 0121 633 2311, W> WhatsOn.guide/CafeOn