Bangladesh: Accused Rohingya Refugees Shot Dead by Police during Gunfight

Two Rohingyas, accused in a case filed over the murder of a Jubo League leader, were killed in a “gunfight” with police in Cox’s Bazar’s Teknaf Upazila. The Rohingyas named Muhammad Shah and Abdu Shukkur were residents of Teknaf’s Zadimura Rohingya refugee camp.
An official in-control (OC) of the Teknaf police headquarters Pradip Kumar Das, said a “gunfight” occurred around 1:30 am and one of their groups completed an assault in Jadimura slope zone, on information that some charged in the murder case had accumulated there. Detecting closeness of the law implementers, the crooks opened discharge, constraining them to fight back, coming about in the “gunfight”. After the criminals fled away, police discovered two shot and accused murderers lying there. They were taken to Teknaf Upazila Health Complex where specialists proclaimed them dead, the OC said. Police professed to have recuperated two guns and 12 slug shells from the spot. The two were among the 15 named accused over the killing of Faruk, 30, leader of Hnila Union Parishad Jubo League, on Thursday night. Police recuperated Faruk’s body early Friday.
The murder sparked a massive demonstration in the area as locals blocked the Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf highway for three hours from 10:00 am protesting the murder. They also vandalised a couple of shops and houses inside a Rohingya camp in Jadimura. The victim’s brother Amir Hamza said a group of Rohingya criminals picked up Faruk from in front of his house around 10:30 pm on Thursday. They then dragged him to a nearby hill and shot him dead, Amir said.
Nearly one million Rohingya live in squalid camps in southeast Bangladesh; 740,000 fled a 2017 military offensive against the Muslim minority in Myanmar. Rights activists who asked not to be named said they believe the two Rohingya men were killed by police in what appeared to be a staged encounter. It happened two days after a second failed attempt to repatriate the refugees. Not a single Rohingya returned to cross the border to Rakhine state.
> Alma Siddiqua