These homemade tasty summer rolls (aka shrimp rolls) make the perfect light appetizer or lunch, especially when dipped in an easy peanut dipping sauce.
FOR SUMMER ROLLS:
- 3 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 large shrimp. Peeled and deveined
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 2 Persian cucumbers, julienned
- 8 oz. Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 8 large rice paper sheets
- 2 tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 12 fresh basil leaves
FOR PEANUT SAUCE:
- 1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 4 tbsp. boiling water
- 1/4 c. crushed, toasted peanuts, for serving
FOR SUMMER ROLLS:
- Step 1 Place noodles in medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; let stand about 5 minutes or until just tender, drain. Using kitchen scissors, cut noodles into random lengths.
- Step 2 Meanwhile; poach shrimp in salted boiling water until they just become pink and opaque. Rinse under cold water, then slice in half lengthwise.
- Step 3 In a medium bowl, mix together noodles, carrot, cucumber, cabbage, fish sauce, sugar, and vinegar.
- Step 4 to assemble rolls, place a sheet of rice paper in medium bowl of warm water until just softened. Lift sheet carefully from water, placing it on a tea-towel-covered board. Place some of the vegetable filling horizontally in the center of the sheet and top with one mint leaf, one basil leaf, 3 shrimp halves, and sesame seeds. Fold edge closest to you up and over the filling; roll sheet to enclose filling, folding in sides after first complete turn of roll.
- Step 5 Repeat with remaining sheets and filling.
- FOR PEANUT SAUCE:
1. Step 1 Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and boiling water until smooth. Top with peanuts and sesame seeds and serve alongside rolls.