Today’s recipe is of a traditional, authentic but delicious cup of Tea! Sweet and spicy masala Tea for you to swallow.
Let’ see how to make it-
Ingredients for the Tea:
- 1/2 cup milk (not skim milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 tsp. sugar,
- 1 tsp. loose tea leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. chai masala (depending on preference)
Ingredients for Masala:
- 160 g. whole black peppercorn
- 125 g. whole dried ginger or ginger powder
- 50 g. cinnamon sticks
- 50 g. whole cardamom seeds
- 5 g. whole cloves
- 5 g. nutmeg
Note- the spices can be finely grounded
- Pour all ingredients into a saucepan. Place over medium heat.
- Allow to heat until small bubbles appear around the perimeter of the milk.
- Stir the chai, scraping the bottom to avoid scalding the milk.
- When the milk comes to a boil, turn off the heat and stir well.
- Bring to a boil once again, turn off the heat and stir well. Allow to steep for a few minutes.
- Strain carefully into a cup, and serve.
Masala Making Method:
If you are using whole spices as ingredients, weigh out the appropriate amount, place in spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Mix all the spices together, store in an airtight jar in a cool, dry part of your kitchen. Do not expose to too much sunlight.
Please note, you will get best results if you weigh the spices so it will be most accurate. The masala recipe makes a LOT of masala. Feel free to make 1/5 of the recipe, that’s the easiest number to divide if you have an accurate scale. If anyone finds the recipe a bit too spicy, feel free to decrease the black pepper.
For more recipes like this, keep an eye on WhatsOn Tasty @ CafeOn.
FOLLOW CAFE ON> WhatsOn/Café On
OPENING HOURS> Monday – Friday: 8.00am – 3.00pm; Sat & Sun> Opening Soon!
CAFE ON, 13A Cannon St, Birmingham B2 5EN, UK, Tel> 0121 633 2311, W> WhatsOn.guide/CafeOn