Fighting for freedom is a lifelong journey. Here is a five-step manifesto on how you can take to push equality forward.
- Centre Disenfranchised Voices. Mainstream media grossly misrepresents and undermines the voices of those who are fighting for equality. It is crucial that we uplift these people and these communities and give them a space to voice their demands.
- Call Out Inequality. As a person with privilege, whatever it may be (whether you’re straight, white, able-bodied etc), it is your responsibility to call out injustice within your community and actively use your privilege to inspire change.
- Accept That You Will Make Mistakes. Being an ally takes practise, and you won’t always get it right. We are born into a society and culture that breeds inequality, and it will take time to unlearn the thoughts and behaviours which are present within ourselves and our communities.
- Learn Your history. Across the globe, the history of many prominent figures across progressive movements have been erased. It is up to us to look back, recognise the role that our ancestors have played, and learn from these stories to ensure that they are not repeated.
- Keep Showing Up. These movements will not always be trending, and you will face some push-back. It is important to understand what you are fighting for and to show up when it isn’t always easy to do so. Make your voice heard, and stand for something important.