Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics is approaching with excitement. It is going on over the top with an incredible beautiful concert that was arranged to start the 100-day countdown to the Winter Olympics. The event went successfully as a group of musicians from China, Germany, and Switzerland had “joined hands” with the celebration.
- The event China-Europe Music Festival was held under the theme “The World in Unity.” It’s part of an extensive program of special events running up to the Winter Olympics, which will begin on February 4, 2022. The concert aimed to blend Sport with culture. The hour-long program had conveyed good wishes for the success of the Beijing Winter Olympics.
- Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), thinks of it as “another milestone” on Beijing’s journey to create history, the first city to host summer and winter events.
- It featured some of the best-loved repertoires in Chinese and Western culture, including the Yellow River Piano Concerto, Ode to the Motherland, William Tell Overture, and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.
- ‘Blending Sport and culture was a key objective of our founder Pierre de Coubertin when he revived the Olympic Games 127 years ago. Today’s program is a wonderful illustration of how both Sport and music build bridges and bring people together,’ Bach said at the event.
- British-Swiss conductor Howard Griffiths, Swiss conductor Jean-Christophe Monnier, and Chinese conductor Zhao Yuan led the concert. It was staged at venues in Geneva and Berlin, including performances from world-class musicians and orchestras. The Brandenburg State Orchestra, the Geneva State Wind Orchestra, and well-known Swiss-Chinese pianist Melodie Zhao had joined.
- Bach stated, ‘The beautiful performances by this talented group of international artists show us all that inspirational moments are possible when we are dreaming together. This is what Sport and music are all about: bringing all people together, making us dream, and inspiring us with beauty and excellence, filling our hearts with joy.’
- CMG President Shen Haixiong said, ‘Sport and music are the common languages of all humankind. Under the Olympic banner, artists from different countries perform wonderfully to express their sincere wishes for the success of the Beijing Winter Olympics. This truly makes me feel the solidarity and the friendship that is higher than mountains, deeper than the ocean.’
- ‘We are fortunate and honored to play this concert for you with a mix of western music and Chinese music. The summer Olympic Games in Beijing were very successful. The Winter Games in Beijing will be another big opportunity for China to showcase the country and the city,’ said Roland Ott, Director of Germany’s Brandenburg State Orchestra.
- Jean-Christophe Monnier, director of Geneva State Wind Orchestra, said, ‘I think the music can give energy and cultural vitality for the sport and the Olympic Games in particular.’
- ‘It is a very important moment, we are only 100 days away from the Olympic Games, and we are all dying to go there and share altogether this wonderful experience of bringing all the important youth of the world to follow the winter games in Beijing,’ said Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., Chair of the IOC’s Coordination Commission for Beijing 2022.
- Spyros Capralos, President of the Hellenic Olympic Committee, said, ‘For Beijing to host both Summer and Winter Olympic Games is an Olympic record. Greece and Olympia are the birthplaces of the Olympic Games.’
- ‘The Lighting of the Flame reminds everybody of the Olympic ideals, what Olympism is bringing to the world, bringing everybody together,’ he added.
Winter sports athletes and officials around the world have also conveyed their wishes for a successful Winter Olympics.