The Chinese company Huawei, the world’s second-biggest smartphone maker, has been restricted by Google, from its use to the Android operating system and some updates apps, after the Trump administration blacklisted the Chinese tech firm.
Last week, President Donald Trump signed an executive order barring US companies from using telecom equipment from sources the administration deems a national security threat, in an action seen as targeting China, specifically, Huawei, a leader in 5G technology and a global tech business with a reported revenue of over $100 bln.
Top U.S. tech companies, including Google, begin to cut off vital Huawei supplies. The move is a huge blow to Huawei.
“We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications,” a Google spokesperson said on Monday. Huawei, the world’s No. 2 smartphone seller, relies on a suite of Google services for its devices, including the Android system and the Google Play app store.
A spokesman for China’s ministry of foreign affairs, Lu Kang, said Beijing would “support Chinese enterprises in defending their legitimate rights through legal methods.”
Huawei said it would continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold or are still in stock globally.
“We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally,” it added.
Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services. But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices. Future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.
UK mobile trade body Mobile UK said it was “working closely with relevant authorities to understand the implications of the US Department of Commerce’s placement of Huawei on its Entity List.”