WhatsOn > News > North Korea might Reconsider US Summit

North Korea might Reconsider US Summit

North Korea has said it may reconsider attending a summit with US President Donald Trump if the US unilaterally insists it gives up nuclear weapons, the North’s state media said on Wednesday.

Citing first vice minister of foreign affairs Kim Kye Gwan, North Korea’s central news agency also said the fate of the US-North Korea summit as well as bilateral relations “would be clear” if Washington speaks of a Libya-style denuclearisation for the North.
The statement added US President Donald Trump would remain as a “failed president” if he follows in the steps of his predecessors.

In his statement, Kim Kye Gwan criticized recent comments by Mr Trump’s top security adviser John Bolton and other US officials who have been talking about how the North should follow the “Libyan model” of nuclear disarmament and provide a “complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement.”

Mintaro Oba, a former state department expert on Korea, posted in a tweet:

“The question is whether they’re willing to go so far as to go through with it, or whether they’re mainly trying to gain some leverage and test how much we want the summit.”

> Shiuly Rina



Leave a Reply

WhatsOn